London: Old Royal Naval College Visit and Painted Hall Tour11 Reviews
Admire the newly reopened ‘Sistine Chapel’ of the UK, the stunning Painted Hall at London’s Old Royal Naval College. Learn bout this fascinating artwork masterpiece and the rich history of the building that was the birthplace of King Henry the 8th.
- Discover one of London’s most beautiful locations as you peruse the stunning recently renovated Painted Hall
- Visit the Nelson Room or join one of the drop-in-talks about the Painted Hall available throughout the day
- Get up close and personal with our hands-on treasure chests, filled with exquisite touch objects inspired by the Painted Hall
- Explore the new Sackler Gallery and discover how Thornhill created the Painted Hall and meet the many characters shown on the ceiling
- Wander the atmospheric grounds, view Tudor remains or try afternoon tea in our brand-new Painted Hall Café
DescriptionDesigned by Sir Christopher Wren, the Painted Hall is known as the UK’s very own Sistine Chapel and newly reopened in 2019 following a 2-year restoration project. With your guide, discover Old Royal Naval College that houses the Pained Hall, admire the beauty of its magnificent interiors, wander its atmospheric grounds and courtyards, and hear the stories of the people who made this place their home. Visit the Nelson Room and listen to talks about the fascinating masterpiece, as well as exhibits that allow you to get up close and personal with hands-on treasure chests filled with exquisite objects inspired by the Painted Hall. The tour also includes access to the new Sackler Gallery, where you can learn about the many characters, including gods and heroes, that are painted onto the ceiling. Learn about the Old Royal Naval College and how it was built in 1692 as a home for returning seamen. Discover the stunning 18th century chapel of St Peter and St Paul, the famous Water Gates, and the Victorian Skittle Alley. Glimpse the foundations of royal history as you see parts of the former Palace of Placentia, and the birthplace of King Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth I.
IncludesGeneral admission ticket and explorer map Guided tour Multimedia guide (subject to availability)
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY