My Guide Website?
London: Old Royal Naval College Visit and Painted Hall Tour66 Reviews
Admire the newly reopened stunning Painted Hall at London’s Old Royal Naval College. Learn about this fascinating artwork and the birthplace of King Henry VIII on a guided tour.
- Discover one of London’s most beautiful locations as you peruse the stunning recently renovated Painted Hall
- Visit the Nelson Room or join one of the drop-in-talks about the Painted Hall available throughout the day
- Play like a Greenwich Pensioner in the Victorian Skittle Alley
- Explore the new Sackler Gallery and discover how Thornhill created the Painted Hall and meet the many characters shown on the ceiling
- Wander the atmospheric grounds, view Tudor remains or try afternoon tea in our brand-new Painted Hall Café
DescriptionDesigned by Sir Christopher Wren, the Painted Hall is known as the UK's very own Sistine Chapel and reopened in 2019 following a 2-year restoration project. With your guide, discover Old Royal Naval College that houses the Painted Hall, admire the beauty of its magnificent interiors, wander its atmospheric grounds and courtyards, and hear the stories of the people who made this place their home. Explore the newly refurbished Nelson Room and learn more about the glorious life of this national naval hero through a multimedia exhibition. Visits to the Painted Hall include guided tours as well as access to the Sackler Gallery, where you can learn about the many characters, including gods and heroes, that are painted onto the ceiling. Learn about the Old Royal Naval College and how it was built in 1692 as a home for returning seamen. Discover the stunning 18th century chapel of St Peter and St Paul, the famous Water Gates, and the Victorian Skittle Alley. Glimpse the foundations of royal history as you see parts of the former Palace of Placentia, and the birthplace of King Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth I.
IncludesGeneral admission ticket and explorer map Entry to Painted Hall and Nelson Room Entry to Victorian Skittle Alley (subject to opening, check on arrival) Guided tour Multimedia guide (subject to availability)
- • Last entry is at 4:30 PM
- The Victorian Skittle Alley is subject to opening times, please check on arrival