London: Secrets of the London Underground Walking Tour1 Reviews
Join an expert guide for a fantastic walking tour of the world's oldest underground system. Learn all about the history of the 'Tube' as you travel through history from one of London's earliest, original stations to its newest and most futuristic.
- Visit one of the tube's original stations, opened in 1863
- Hear how the system was built during the Victorian era
- Learn about the roles the tube has played over the years
- Discover haunted and abandonned stations
DescriptionThe London Underground, or the 'Tube' as it is more commonly known, is more than just a transport network- it is an icon of London and the lifeblood of the city; every year, more than 1.3 billion passengers journeys are made across its 270 stations. The tour begins at the historic Baker Street Station, one of the original stops on the Metropolitan Railway, the world's first underground railway. During the course of the tour an expert guide will bring the fascinating history of the London Underground to life as they tell the story of the 'Tube's' evolution including how trains moved from steam-powered to electrified rails, how the very first tunnels of the underground were built, why more than 40 stations have been left abandoned, and the story of the famous 'roundel' underground symbol. Find out which station lies above the remains of 1000 bodies, how the tube was re-purposed and used as a refuge during the Blitz as well as an aircraft factory and storage for the treasures of the British Museum, and which stations are reputed to be haunted by the ghosts of a Pharaoh's daughter and even a nun.
IncludesAudio headset London underground ticket / oyster card Hotel pickup and drop-off Food and drinks
- Travel cards are required for this tour but are not included, please purchase a day travel card (Zones 1 – 2) or Oyster card prior to joining the tour
- A moderate amount of walking is involved on this tour
- Due to the number of steps on the underground system this walking tour is not suitable for customers with reduced mobility
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability