Avebury & Stonehenge Private Tour - Day Tour From Bath
Follow in the footsteps of Britain's ancient ancestors and explore fascinating historic sites which continue to amaze and baffle people today. Sites include Avebury, the world's largest stone circle, and Stonehenge, one of Britain's most famous icons.
- Explore and touch the ancient stones at the world's largest stone circle
- Venture inside a prehistoric communal tomb that dates back to 3650BC
- See the world's largest prehistoric chalk mound
- Enjoy lunch at a 16th Century coach house
- Visit the world-renowned Stonehenge
DescriptionBritain's countryside is filled with reminders of its ancient past from ancient burial grounds to stone monuments that have stood for over 4000 years. People would have traveled from across the country to visit them and would have stood in awe at what they saw. Today these sites continue to amaze and attract visitors. For some they continue to be important places of power and energy. This full day guided tour explores the area's most fascinating sites: Avebury, the West Kennet Long Barrow, and Stonehenge. Your private guide will drive you from Bath to Avebury, home to the world's largest stone circle. The stone circle dates back to approx. 2600BC. Walking around the site you will be given an insight into its history and the latest archaeological discoveries. Unlike Stonehenge, visitors are free to wander among the stones and touch them. After Avebury your tour continues with a visit to a site that pre-dates the stone circle at Avebury - the West Kennet Long Barrow - an ancient burial site that was constructed around 3,650BC. Today it offers one of the best examples of a chambered tomb and should you wish, visitors are able to venture inside. From the tomb you can easily see Silbury Hill, the world's largest prehistoric chalk mound, the purpose of which remains a mystery to this day. After lunch at a traditional 16th Century coach house you will continue to Britain's most famous landmark, Stonehenge. Built at a similar time to Avebury, the stones and archaeological finds at Stonehenge suggest that its purpose was different to that at Avebury. Visiting the museum and the stone circle your guide will give you an insight into its history and the latest theories on the circle. After visiting Stonehenge you will be driven back to Bath.
IncludesAll admission prices Private a/c transportation to and from Bath Private guide Lunch and refreshments
- Clothing recommendations: - Comfortable shoes for walking on grass and dirt paths. - You will be exposed to the British weather during the tour so please wear/bring suitable clothing! Dietary requirements: - Please let the supplier know if you have any particular dietary requirements to ensure that these can be catered for at the lunch venue. Itinerary order: - During Winter months, the order in which the sites are visited may change to accommodate winter opening hours.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability